N-400 application for naturalization questions and instructions for filling form
n-400 instructions, n-400 form, n-400 questions, n400 application, uscis n-400, n 400 citizenship application
N-400 form is a form which is issued by US Citizenship and immigration services. This is a form which is filled to apply for application of naturalization. N-400 form consists of 10 pages and although USCIS provide instructions on how to fill n400 and will give you detailed instructions on their website but still it is difficult for certain people to fill out this form as some of questions in n400 application for citizenship are tough. Some people also hire lawyers and attorneys just to help them fill this form and will end up paying thousands of dollars to fill a simple form. Here we will be guiding you step by step on how to fill n-400 application. We will go over each question . N400 has 14 parts so we will go by part to part
A. Question- Your current legal name
Answer : Here write your Family name in Family name section. Write your First Name in First name section
B. Your name exactly as it appear on your permanent resident card
Answer : Note that the permanent resident card here refers to your Green Card. Here write your Family name in Family name section. Write your First Name in First name section.
C. If you have ever used other name, provide them below
Answer: This is usually meant for people who have changed their names for example some women change their name after their marriage and make their last name as their husbands
first name . So this section will cover all the names you have used in the past history.
D. Name Change
Answer : If you want to change your name then you have to fill this section however in most cases people would not , so if you do not want to change your name dont worry about
this section of n400 form.
Part 2-N-400 filling instructions
A. I have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least five years.
Answer: Usually you apply for USA citizenship if you reside in USA for at least 5 years before you fill this form. So if the answer to this question is no than you are not
eligible to apply for your American Citizenship and have to wait till the time your complete 5 years of residency.
B. I have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least three year and i have been married to and living with the same US citizen for last three year and that my spouse has been a US citizen for the last three year.
Answer : For the people who marry a US citizen becoming American citizen is easier and they have to wait shorter so once they become permanent resident of united states and have been married to a US citizen then they are eligible to apply after three year.
C. I am applying on the basis of qualifying military service.
Answer : The US government have recognized that since the it is tough for military people to be present inside the country as they have to perform their duties sometimes offshore so the army men are exempted from the physcical residency in the United States.
Answer : If you have any other reason other than the ones explained above you will write this in this place
Part 3 N-400 form instructions
In this part you have to give information about your self
A. US social security number
Answer : As a general assumption when you are applying for US citizenship you will have a SSN issued to you. So write you SSN here
B. Date of Birth
Answer : Write your date of birth here. The format must me (mm/dd/yyyy) so for example you were born 3, feb, 1975 than you will write 02/03/1975 here
C. Date you become permanent resident.
Answer : Here you will have to fill in the date you became permanent resident of the united states of America. Again the format of filling this field of n400 form is
D. Country of Birth
Answer: Here you will state the country you were born in.
E. Country of Nationality
Answer : In this field of n100 application you will fill in your current nationality or the country whose citizen are you currently.
F. Are Either of your parents citizens of US
Answer : If any of your parent ie father or your mother is a US citizen than answer it as yes other wise tick no.
G. What is your current marital status
Answer : If you are single and never have been married tick the first box. If you are married and still married then tick on the second box. Click the Divorced box if there is a divorce took place between you and your partner. Click on Widowed if your spouse has died.
H. Are you requesting a waiver of the English and or US history and Govt requirement based on a disability or impairment and attaching form N-648 with your application ?
Answer . For becoming a citizen of the United states you have to show some ability in one of the official languages of US and that is Spanish and English . Also you need to
have some knowledge of the US history and Geography as you have to write a simple test. Click on no. However If you are however disable than you must attach N648 with this application for citizenship form N 400.
I. Are you requesting an accommodation to the naturalization process because of a disability or impairment.
Answer : If you answer no than you have to skip I however if you are deaf , use wheel chair, blind or for some other disabilities please explain in the space given. If there
is not enough space here than use an extra paper sheet.
Part 4 N-400 US citizenship form
A. Home Address
Answer : Write your home address here including apartment no. or unit no , city , county , state , zip code and country. This is the current address where you are living.
B. Care of
Answer : If you are applying with a lawyer sometimes you will want that the corresponding be done on his address so that he can follow up your citizenship case. So you can write his address . Also if you often change your address you may be taking a PO box so that you get your documents in PO box so that the lost of documents chance may not occur.
C. Phone numbers and email addresses.
This gives you the option to enter you day time phone number , your evening phone number and email address . All of these fields are not mandatory but it is always good if you give the citizenship department as much details as possible.
Part 5 N-400 . Information for Criminal record search
The FBI will have to check you that if you might have any criminal records or any other suspicious activities. This is mandatory because they do not want a person who is a criminal to be a citizen. So they will completely check your records before issuing a FBI clearance.
Answer : Write your gender here
Answer : Write your height in feet and inches. (for example 6 in feet section and one in inches section if your height is 6 feet one inches)
Answer : Write your weight in pounds here. If you have a scale that shows your weight in Kilograms then convert it using the formula to pounds.
D. Are you hispanic or Latino?
Answer : If you are hispanic or a Latino ethnicity then tick yes here other wise tick no here.
Answer : Tick on your race here. The options avaible to you in this citizenship form are White, Asian, Black or african American, American Indian, Native Hawaiian
F. Hair Color
Answer : Tick your hair color here. The option available in N400 form is Black, Brown, Blonde, Gray, White, Red, Sandy or Bald for people who have no hair.
G. Eye color
Answer : Tick your eye color here.
Part 6 N-400 form filling questions instructions – Information about your residence and Employment
A. Where have you lived during the last five years.
Answer : You Have to fill all your addresses where you have lived in the last 5 years. Honesty is the best policy here as in other cases of life. So make sure that you list
all your addresses and do not miss the days other wise your time will be wasted as you might get a query from USCIS to fill the missing period.
B. Where have you worked during the last five years. If you were a student then schools you attended.
Answer: You have to start with your most recent employer or school . The purpose of this is that the US immigration want you tell them that what you have been doing for the last 5 years so that they can run background checks on you.
Part 7 N-400 Instructions for citizenship (Time outside the USA)
A. How many total days did you spend outside of the USA during the last five years.
Answer : If you dont know then you must have a detailed look at your passports entry and exit dates from USA to count the number of days your were absent from American during the past 5 years and fill it in here.
B. How many trips of 24 hours or more have you taken outside USA in past 5 years.
Answer : Here you have to write the total number of trips that exceeds 24 hours. The same day trip are not counted.
C. List below all the trips of 24 hours or more you have done outside of America from the time your became permanent resident of USA.
Answer : Again you have to take help of the stamps on your passports if you dont remember the exact dates of the entry and exit dates from USA. You have to start from the most recent trip.
Part 8 N-400. (Marital History)
A. How many times have you been married
Answer : Fill in the number of marriages you have commenced. For example if your current marriage is the first marriage you will write 1.
B. If you are currently married info about your spouse.
Answer : Give information about your spouse in this section. Information includes her the Family name . First Name, Date of Birth, Date of your marriage, Social security no. (if he or she have one), Her address including street name , city and zip code and Country.
C. IF your spouse is a citizen of United States.
Answer : Click yes if your spouse is a US citizen otherwise tick no.
D. If your spouse is a US citizen (at birth or no)
Answer: Tick yes if your spouse was a US citizen at birth. If yes then tick yes. If you tick no which means that your wife was not a American by birth then you have to write the date when he or she become US citizen and the place where he became US citizen
E. If your spouse is not a US citizen the following points answer
Answer : Here at point no. 1 your have to write the spouse current Nationality and in point 3 spouse immigration status.
F. If you were married before provide information about your previous spouse.
Answer: This section is meant for the people who have more than 1 marriages. They have to fill in the information about their previous spouses. The information includes previous spouse Family name, their Immigration status, Date of your marriage with him or her, and the date your marriage ended and how it ended like divorce, spouse death or other reason.
G. How many times your current spouse have been married.
Answer : Your will fill section only if your spouse was married before than the marriage with you. You have to attach a separate sheet if your spouse has more than one
Part 9 N-400 form fill help. (Information about your children)
A. How many sons and daughters have your had
Answer : Write the total number here
B. Provide the details of your sons and daughters.
Answer : Write the details of your children here including their sex, their date of birth and other information asked in this form like the place where they stay currently.
Part 10 N-400 Application for Naturalization Instructions
1. Have you ever claimed to be a US citizen. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
2. Have you ever registered to vote in any Federal , state or local US elections. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
3. Have you ever voted in any Federal , state, or local election in the USA. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
4. Since becoming a lawful permanent resident , have you ever failed to file a required tax return including Federal , State or Local. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
5. Do you owe any Federal , State or local taxes that are overdue. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
6. Do you have any title of nobility in any foreign country. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
7. Have you ever been declared legally incompetent or been confined to a mental institution within the last 5 years. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
8. Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization , association, party, club, society in the USA or any other place . If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain. You will fill the name in the table given below.
9. Have you ever been a member of or in any way associated with (options are Communist Party, Any other totalitarian party, A terrorist organization). If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
10. Have you ever advocated the overthrow of any government by force or violence. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
11. Have you ever persecuted any person because of his origin , race, political opinion, for his membership in a particular social group or political opinion. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
12. Between Mar 23 , 1933 and May 8, 1945 did you work for or associate in any way with (Options are Nazi government of Germany, Any government in any area occupied by , allied with , established with the help of Nazi Government of Germany, Any german , Nazi, SS Military unit , paramilitary unit, Self Defense unit , vigilante unit , war camp, labor camp or transit camp) . If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
C. Continuous Residence.
Since you became a permanent resident of the United States.
13. Have you ever called yourself a nonresident on a Federal , State or local tax return. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you have to explain.
14. Have you ever failed to file a Federal , State or local tax return because you considered yourself to be nonresident. If you answer no than you are ok. If yes than you
have to explain.
Part 10 Form n-400 American Citizenship form instructions
D. Good moral Character.
15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
19. Have you ever been place in an alternative sentencing or a rehabilitative program. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
20. Have your ever received a suspended sentence been placed on probation or been paroled. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
21. Have you ever been in Jail or prison. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
22. Have you ever been (a habitual drunkard, been a prostitute or procured anyone for prostitution, sold or smuggled controlled substances , illegal drugs or narcotics, Been married to more than one person at the same time, Helped any one enter or try to enter the USA illegally, Gambling illegally or recived income from illegal gambling, Filed to support your dependents or to pay alimony). Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
23. Have you ever given false or misleading information to any US government official while applying for any immigration benefit or to prevent deportation, exclusion or removal. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
24. Have you ever lied to any USA govt official to gain entry to US. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
E. Removal , Exclusion and deportation proceedings
25 Are removal exclusion rescission or deportation proceedings pending against you. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
26. Have you ever been removed , excluded or deported from USA. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
27. Have you ever been ordered to be removed , excluded or deported from the US. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
28. Have you ever applied for any kind of relief from removal , exclusion or deportation. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
F. Military services section of N400 Citizen forms.
29. Have you ever served in US armed Forces. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
30. Have you ever left the USA to avoid being drafted into the US armed forces. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
31. Have you ever applied for any kind of exemption from Military service in the US armed forces. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
32. Have you ever deserted from the United States Armed Forces. Tick yes if this statement is true other wise tick no.
G. Selective Service Registration.
33. Are you a male who lived in USA at the time between 18th and 26 th birthdays. On answering no just skip remaining of this question. If yes than fill Date registered and
Selective Service number
H. Oath requirements
34. Do you support the constitution and form of the Govt of United sates. (If you answer no you have to attach explaination )
35. Do you understand the full Oath of Allegiance to the United States? (If you answer no you have to attach explaination )
36. Are you willing to take the full Oath of Allegiance to the United States. (If you answer no you have to attach explaination )
37.If the law requires it are you willing to bear arms on bahlf of USA .(If you answer no you have to attach explaination )
38. If the law requires it are you willing to perform noncombatant services in the US armed forces. (If you answer no you have to attach explaination )
39. If the law requires it are you willing to perform work of national importance under civilian direction? (If you answer no you have to attach explaination )
Part 11 Form n-400 A Guide to Naturalization form
In this part you have to sign the form to determine your eligibility for naturalization. After signing you have to put the date on the form.
Part 12 Form n-400 A Guide to Citizenship form
If somebody whomever it may be like a lawyer, attorney or any other person assisted to prepare this form. You need to list the attorney company information in this section. The address of lawyer or attorney firm also need to be listed here
PART 13, 14 and 15 will be filled on later by you after the officer instructs you.